A CPA is a certified public accountant who is licensed by a state board of accountancy. The two most significant aspects of becoming a CPA are passing the Uniform CPA Exam and meeting licensing requirements in the state where you want to practice. This Florida CPA license search will help you find vital information for getting your own license.
You don’t have to study accountancy to become a Certified Public Accountant. Applicants for the CPA certification take the US-GAAP exam.
In addition, it is necessary to have excellent knowledge of the US tax systems and law.
The exam consists of 4 sections:
All sections must be completed within 1.5 years after passing the first one. Of course, you can take all subjects in one session, but due to the complexity of the material, only 15% of students (mostly foreigners) choose this way. The remaining 85% pass the sections gradually.
You may contact the State Board of Accountancy of Florida where your CPA obtained their license to confirm that it is still active. In addition, you can use the License Search’s Florida license lookup tool.
The Florida Board of Accountancy (BOA) handles requirements for certification, reciprocity, and licensure. Additionally, the BOA provides information on the May and November CPA exams and is able to verify if someone is certified and/or licensed in Florida. Your CPA license is valid for a two-year period, and expires every other year on the last day of your birth month.
Requirements: annual minimum of 20 CPE credits, 120 CPE credits every 3 years including 8 hours of ethics. You should maintain records of completed CPE credits. CPE courses must comply with BOA rules. Also, you should renew your CPA certificate and report CPE based on BOA rules.
Conducting FL CPA license search? You need to have a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university with concentrations in accounting and business. You must have 150 semester hours, or 225 quarter hours, in accounting and business subjects.
Four sections of the CPA exam in Florida is $743 plus the initial $50 application fee. If you already have a CPA license in another state, you can apply for a Florida CPA license through “endorsement” process. However, you must pass the Florida Law and Rules examination and complete 80 CPE hours if you passed the CPA Exam two or more years ago.
Between education requirements and experience requirements, becoming a CPA isn’t a quick process. You’ll need to complete 150 hours of education, which can include undergraduate and graduate studies, or online or on-ground CPA degree programs that combine master’s programs with undergraduate studies.
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) is the regulatory agency charged with licensing and regulating businesses and professionals in the State of Florida, such as cosmetologists, veterinarians, real estate agents, and pari-mutuel wagering facilities. The mission is to license efficiently and regulate fairly.
If you want to start a business in Florida you need to check with your County Tax Collector to see if you need a license. After that you should register your business with the Department of Revenue. Corporate entities or fictitious name registrants should register with the Department of State.
Do you have a Florida accountant license from another state? CPAs who hold licenses from other states but wish to practice in Florida received relief in 2004 with the passage of SB 2720 which allows for five years of experience as a licensed CPA to substitute for Florida’s required fifth year of education through Oct. 1, 2008. Under the new legislation, the experience may be gained inside the state of Florida under the following conditions: the individual should have a current CPA license from another state; should be employed for at least five years in public practice or as an auditor or accountant in a unit of state, local or federal government or works under the direct supervision of a licensed CPA.